Monday, July 17, 2006

Sweet Rewards...

Well, I had a pretty productive weekend, if I do say so myself!

I kicked it off by talking to an acquaintence that I think is now safely upgraded to "friend" status. She lives in Indiana and she is just as sweet and funny as can be. We are driving up to Chicago together next month. She has been having some financial and medical issues and needed a shoulder, which I gladly lent. We are pretty alike in some regards and she thinks Tristan and Jo are just to die for... did I meantion that she is safely tucked away in Indiana? lol

Saturday I went to the Farmer's Market with one of the ladies from work. I took Jo with me because I try to avoid leaving her alone in the presence of a lot of testosterone. We had fun once she got used to Karen and accepted her fate. She was like a little tigger; bouncing all over the place and having a ball. A good time was had by all and I will never in my life, EVER spend $40 on just produce again!

Sunday, well I got Shayne up super early to start cleaning the garage. He tried to pick fights with me a few times, but I knew right from the start that he was looking for a way to get out of doing his share. He finally conceded that I wasn't going to let him off that easy when he uttered (with much provocation in mind) that I just liked to make his life difficult and that's why he never wanted to do anything with me. I was like, "oh yeah? ... well, sorry about you luck dude... take this out to the garbage please". So we accomplished cleaning 1/2 of the garage... then it got too hot to be cooped up in that room... so I went outside. If I am nothing else, I'm ass backwards.
So I commenced to spending 8 hours in my veggie garden. I weeded and I weed whacked. I picked raspberries, and thinned the raspberry bushes after I'd gotten all I wanted from them.
I mowed around the beds and put down black plastic tarp to kill everything growing between my raised beds (Next week we will 2 tons of small pebbles delivered and they will be dumped on the plastic between the beds... it'll make for a nice little garden area don't you think? The one thing that really surprised me was the tomatoes. The other was my cukes. I knew the tomatoes were flowering last week. Well yesterday I discovered that they had gone well beyond just flowering. I have about 30-40 Beefstakes (green of course) on the vine, about 20 Romas and well, I refuse to count the cherry tomatoes! I can't believe I'm going to have my own home grown tomatoes soon! I feel so "mother earthy"! The other surprising thing was my ignorance when it comes to cucumbers. I didn't know that the darned things grow under the leaves. So I thought that my cucumbers were just not taking this year. Well while cleaning up the weeds in the middle of the box, I inadvertantly rested my hands on a nice fat one (which poked me) ! I lifted up a bunch of vines to discover that I have about 40 of those babies partying under the leaves! I picked some of the largest ones and ran (not walked) indoors to get a taste. It was THE best cucumber I've had in a while; no funky after taste, no pesticides, no wax! It was juicy and awesome... even better when cold! I can't wait to have a cuccumber sandwhich when I get home! Cream cheese and dill... here I come! I also discovered a zucchini, but only one of those, so we shall see! I'll try my hand at photographing veggies and post them here.

So all in all, I had a great weekend... and I'm walking like a stiff scarecrow to prove it. Tonight, I will have a fantastic time in my kitchen... I'll be armed with nothing but a bottle of cleanser and a toothbrush! It's supposed to be 100 degrees today, so I am going to try to get it done super fast so I can retreat to my airconditioned bedroom.

Oh... and Shayne is putting a window AC unit in my scrap room! Isn't that sweet? 4 new units came with the house when we bought it 3 years ago... (neither of us care for central air) but we got new windows a few weeks later so we've only really needed 1 of them. Well, with the tree gone in the back and the front of the house, now we have a lot of sun exposure, so with heat comes discomfort. It's going to be really nice to scrap in cool comfort... thought I know I'll be sick within a week of getting it...something about airconditioning makes me ill. I'll deal with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home